[Twisted-Python] Progress report on splitting packages

Mary Gardiner mary-twisted at puzzling.org
Tue Apr 20 17:27:24 EDT 2004

On Tue, Apr 20, 2004, Glyph Lefkowitz wrote:

> On Apr 19, 2004, at 10:19 PM, Christopher Armstrong wrote:
>
> >It seems quite unnecessary, and I'm not convinced enough of its
> >utility to actually put effort into it. There's not much special
> >about a "Twisted Subproject"; AFAIC they're just projects that are
> >developed by "Twisted Matrix Laboratories", which is rather nebulous.
>
> We absolutely need a policy document.

I had a thought briefly yesterday that got lost in my helpful (off-list)
exchange with radix about whether policy could keep cross-projects tasks
like docs (and testing I suppose) sane: a policy doc would be most
helpful for newcomers to the Twisted community who've decided their itch
is a new subproject, because they want to add support for a blah
protocol. Reading a policy doc would be a lot faster than absorbing
policy on IRC for an outsider. Or at least so it appears to me.

> Twisted, to many developers, is the extremely consistent coding style,
> packaging style, and central point of distribution.  A project
> developed by 'the labs' also implicitly depends on some other core
> packages, and we need policy about things like running regression
> tests with multiple versions of dependencies in order that those core
> packages continue to support their clients correctly to even maintain
> parity with our current development process's quality level.
>
> Some of the policy will seem obvious, but other packages don't follow
> it.  For example, we should make sure that everything uses distutils
> as its build process.

If people want a policy doc, send me notes towards it and I'll happily
turn it into something doc-like or a series thereof. I know there's
coding standards already.

-Mary