[Fwd: Re: [Twisted-Python] Sub-project Naming]

Bob Ippolito bob at redivi.com
Tue Apr 20 17:23:56 EDT 2004

On Apr 20, 2004, at 5:02 PM, Christopher Armstrong wrote:

> Pavel Pergamenshchik wrote:
>> On Tue, 20 Apr 2004 16:04:50 -0400
>> Christopher Armstrong <radix at twistedmatrix.com> wrote:
>>> So it's officially counted :-) ::

I'm +1 on tmlabs as well, but I'm unsure about the cute names.

On one hand, it's harder for a new user to figure out that (a) twisted
does ssh and (b) it's named conch.. but on the other hand, if you say
conch, people know you're speaking of a specific implementation of ssh,
where if it was called "twisted ssh" it might cause some confusion in
that regard.  I think PuTTY, SecureCRT, Transmit, etc. do a fine job of
marketing themselves as protocol-specificish applications without
explicitly mentioning which protocols they support (which is probably
more of a bonus, because it's future proof).

So because there are good reasons either way, I say we just stick with
the cute names -- but maybe try a little harder to market them to new
users.  An idea would be to have a "protocol matrix" document that is
easy to find from twistedmatrix.com (no more than 1 click away from the
front page, but it could almost be the front page) that is a table of
wire protocols <-> implementation names with perhaps a note about their
stability and completeness.

-bob