[Twisted-Python] ESMTPClient

exarkun at divmod.com exarkun at divmod.com
Fri Apr 2 08:47:06 MST 2004

On Thu, 11 Mar 2004 16:33:35 +0100, "Koen Van Herck" <koen_van_herck at yahoo.com> wrote:
>Does anyone have an example of using twisted.protocols.smtp.ESMTPClient ?
> I.e., I would like to write a client for sending mail to an SMTP server
> which requires authentication.

  ESMTPClient (along with several other client implementations in Twisted) supports
authentication by allowing you to specify a dictionary mapping authentication schemes
to authentication logic objects.

  For example, to use only Cram-MD5 authentication

    from twisted.protocols import smtp
    from twisted.protocols.imap4 import CramMD5ClientAuthenticator

    class ESMTPClientFactory(protocol.ClientFactory):
        def __init__(self, *a, **kw):
            self.a, self.kw = a, kw

        def buildProtocol(self, addr):
            p = smtp.ESMTPClient('password')
            p.factory = self
            p.requireAuthentication = True
            p.authenticators = {'CRAM-MD5': CramMD5ClientAuthenticator('username')}
            return p

  Having had to write out the above, it is even more apparent to me how much work
is left to be done on the client side of many of our protocol implementations.

  The code is untested; please let me know if you run into any problems with it.

  Jp