[Twisted-Python] twisted socksv4 proxy

Yun Mao maoy at cis.upenn.edu
Wed Sep 24 17:20:16 EDT 2003

OK. Here are some numbers:

First, I tried the bandwidth to download kernel from kernel.org: around
150K/s reported from wget.

Then,

I wrote a little program to use twisted.protocols.socks:

application = Application("socks4 proxy")
application.listenTCP(1080, socks.SOCKSv4Factory("/tmp/socks.log"))

if '__main__' == __name__:
    application.run()

I start the program on my own machine, port 1080.

After that I use a "sockify" program (tsocks) to use the "127.0.0.1:1080"
proxy to download.  wget told me the speed is 4.10K/s Ideally, a proxy on
localhost should bring almost 0 overhead, right?

I also observe 100% cpu usage. A faster CPU may get better results. But,
still, what is going on here?

I modified socks.py and tried the producer idea, but it doesn't work.
Maybe because the wrong usage?

Somebody can help me out? Thanks a lot!