[Twisted-Python] UDP Factories

Itamar Shtull-Trauring itamar at itamarst.org
Fri Sep 19 22:21:21 EDT 2003

On Fri, 19 Sep 2003 16:18:32 -0600
"Justin Johnson" <justinjohnson at fastmail.fm> wrote:

> Yeah I sent this email out real quick without looking at the doc.
> Sorry.
>
> I'm using UDP because the device I'm coding for uses UDP.  Twisted
> sure saved me a ton of time.
>
> Out of curiosity, why doesn't listenUDP accept Factories?

This would, to be a general purpose thing, need to create a protocol per
datagram. This would be... inefficient. In TCP you have a protocol per
connection. In UDP there are no connections. You might build one on top
of UDP, in which case you would have a protocol-ish object you dispatch
to, but how you determine this object and its lifecycle would be
something you would have to determine.

--
Itamar Shtull-Trauring    http://itamarst.org/
Available for Python & Twisted consulting