[Twisted-Python] Newbie:XMLRPC Server as plugin?

Nesbitt, Steve snesbitt at cobaltgroup.com
Thu Sep 18 13:27:12 EDT 2003

Thanks Itamar.

I've been reviewing the howto and have that working.

My next step, however, was to turn that example into an actual plugin
following the QuoteD plugin example which has three parts:
- quoters.py => contains business logic
- quoteproto.py => contains the protocol definition
- quotetap.py => application interface/wrapper

My problem is coming up with the xmlrpc equivalent of quoteproto.py which
looks like this:

from twisted.internet.protocol import Factory, Protocol
from twisted.internet.app import Application

class QOTD(Protocol):

    def connectionMade(self):
        self.transport.write(self.factory.quoter.getQuote()+'\r\n')
        self.transport.loseConnection()

class QOTDFactory(Factory):

    protocol = QOTD

    def __init__(self, quoter):
        self.quoter = quoter

What I can't figure out what this should look like for an xmlrpc server. It
appears (to me at least) that a fundamental function of the factory method
is to set the protocol. But I don't know what this should be for xml-rpc and
since twisted appears to do the right thing already, I don't really want to
rewrite the connectionMade, etc. methods.

I suppose the core issue is that in order to create a plugin I need to call:
app.listenTCP(port, factory) and I don't know what factory object to pass or
how to get it.

Thanks,

-steve

Steve Nesbitt