[Twisted-Python] Reactor interface for system configuration and events?

Axel Busch busch at transporeon.com
Tue Oct 21 12:35:44 MDT 2003

Hi Bob,

> I've just wrapped the SystemConfiguration interface from Darwin
> (part of the configd project, which is open source under APSL).
-snip-
> Surely some or all of this is applicable to Win32 and Linux.  Anyone
> knowledgeable about this sort of API on those platforms?  We should
> develop an interface to deal with this stuff.

coool. I'm very interested in the reactor interface you proposed.
Maybe I can help with win32.

But tell me, I thought twisted is pure python, so how are we
going to integrate this for win32? The win32all extension does
not provide the means to do it.
I could write a .pyd module with c++ and boost. Would this help?

Some things we would have to think of: For most of the stuff there
is some difference between 95/98/ME, NT4/2000 and XP/2003. Some
things will even not be available for 95/98/ME, like some Battery
states etc.
Most information should be available through Windows Messages
like WM_USERCHANGED, WM_DEVICECHANGE etc., so polling is not
required. Unfortunately 95/98/ME does not broadcast WM_DEVICECHANGE
for all required device events.
Well, just some thoughts, I didn't have time to try anything yet.

Regards, -xl