[Twisted-Python] twisted.web and MySQLdb

Eric C. Newton ecn at metaslash.com
Wed Oct 29 07:49:47 EST 2003

I looked into this for a few hours.  I had to build a server that
needed to regularly maintain 20K+ connections.  Of course, I prototyped
it in python first.

It takes a long time just to create and accept 20K+ connections
in Python.  Epoll wasn't going to help that much.

In the end I wrote it in C++ using ACE.  Since ACE supports poll()
and epoll() event loops, I experimented with both.  I was surprised
that the poll() interface performed nearly as well as epoll() for my
tests.

BTW, if you are going to play around with large numbers of connections,
and you are using Linux, drop the kernel per-connection buffer sizes.

-Eric