[Twisted-Python] High Level Implementation Question

Andrew Bennetts andrew-twisted at puzzling.org
Wed Oct 22 23:02:35 EDT 2003

On Wed, Oct 22, 2003 at 12:56:37PM -0700, Nathan Seven wrote:

> I know I need twisted.enterprise.adbapi talking to my
> db, and then twisted.web handling the incoming
> requests, but from there it gets a little fuzzy.

(Just to confuse you even more, you don't *need* adbapi; you can ignore it
and do DB work in your own threads if that's more convenient.  adbapi is
probably what you want, though :)

> What should go in my .rpy?
> I remember somewhere in the docs it saying that the
> .rpy should only be a few lines.
> Is this just speaking about making it import my code
> instead of actually containing my code?

Yep, that's right.

> (I'm still thinking in PERL/CGI style where I would
> just make the .rpy the app itself)

Yeah, don't do that :)

> Should I be using woven? (I think not- I have no heavy
> presentation needs)

I think you're probably right here, too.  It's pretty easy to just write
your own Twisted Web resources, if all you need is simple stuff.

> And then- why am I "supposed" to use twisted.app?
> I don't need app-level persistance, and this is on
> dedicated machines where I can just background the
> process in the startup scripts- so daemonization is
> not needed? Am I missing something in that?

I'll let someone who actually knows something about the new app stuff answer
this :)

-Andrew.