ipython rox was(Re: [Twisted-Python] Documentation Question)

Rene Dudfield illumen at yahoo.com
Fri Nov 14 00:47:14 MST 2003

John Landahl wrote:

> On 14 Nov 2003 06:24:12 -0000, Moshe Zadka <twisted at zadka.site.co.il>
> wrote:
>
>> In general, I highly recommend using help() from the interactive
>> interpreter to read the docstrings of stuff, and see how to call it.
>

> And with IPython it's even simpler, e.g. "help reactor.listenUDP".
> IPython does the parens for you, allowing for new heights of laziness. :)
>
> If the docstrings aren't enough and you want to see the source after
> all, "psource reactor.listenUDP" shows you the source for just that
> single function, in pretty colors, even.
>
> And you can't beat the tab completion: "reactor.listen<TAB>" shows you
> lots of interesting things.
>
> Sure, it's slow to load, but IPython takes the interactive Python
> experience to a whole new level, especially in situations like this
> where you're exploring new (to you) code.
>
> Oh yeah, try the @pdb option, which automatically launches the
> debugger *at the point of failure* when an uncaught exception occurs.
> Alas, since the reactor catches all exceptions, this won't help much
> with Twisted apps.
>
> _jpl_ (a satisfied customer)

I too love ipython :)  Especially since the deep reload command works
fairly well.  Has macros too.  You can access the lines that you type in
as a list.  Which makes getting a copy of code you type in there
easier.  Oh and you can use !ls for shell commands.  More features at
the website:

http://ipython.scipy.org/

Have fun!
http://www.holepit.com/