[Twisted-Python] Forum vs. mailing list

Clark C. Evans cce at clarkevans.com
Fri Nov 14 16:01:00 EST 2003

Matthew,

A forum does not solve the core issue of organizing information
into a clear hierarchy of topics, filtering relevant questions
and answers, and a whole host of other items.  While a Wiki or
a Forum could be useful, it will only work if there are several
people who care about its structure, moderate it, and work
hard to make the information useful.   Other than that, threaded
email works just as well.

IMHO, an AutoFAQ would be more appropriate, in particular, if you
or someone else dedicates significant _time_ to make sure that it
stays orderly and useful.   Sort of a AutoFAQ, you could simply
implement or edit a FAQ.  I'm sure if you kept one up-to-date
it would glady find its way into the source code.

Probably a more "helpful" item would be a "Weekly Report"
like the Python Developer's list has.  Some dutiful individual
there scans all of the things discussed, lists the topics
discussed, summarizes them into a single paragaraph and
provides links to particularly insighful emails.  In my
opinion, this would be far more useful..

Clark