[Twisted-Python] Twisted and mod_python?

Glyph Lefkowitz glyph at twistedmatrix.com
Wed Nov 12 00:29:13 EST 2003

Itamar Shtull-Trauring wrote:

> You'd need to start the Twisted event loop up on each HTTP request.
> Or... kinda. It's possible anyway, but you'll need to investigate
> mod_python's interpreter lifetime model.

It's theoretically possible, but almost certainly a bad idea.  Do you
already have a large mod_python-using codebase?

If not, Twisted includes HTTP support for a reason.  Just use it :).  To
communicate with your apache server, use mod_proxy or something similar
to just relay requests to the Twisted web server.

If you do have a large mod_python-using application already and you are
trying to get it to talk to Twisted, you probably want to continue to
use the mod_python execution model rather than spin up the twisted event
loop and switch back and forth: while it's possible if you really need
it, a better architectural strategy in the average case (to avoid odd
interactions between the assumptions mod_python has about its
environment and the assumptions twisted has about its) would be to use
Twisted's XMLRPC support and talk to it using a blocking XMLRPC library
from your mod_python scripts.

but-ask-me-again-when-warner-finishes-newpb-ly y'rs,

	-glyph