[Twisted-Python] Scaling problem

Nathan Seven scosol at yahoo.com
Wed Nov 5 02:05:26 EST 2003

--- Itamar Shtull-Trauring <itamar at itamarst.org>
wrote:
> On Tue, 4 Nov 2003 16:21:46 -0800 (PST)
> Nathan Seven <scosol at yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> > Am I severely confused here?
> > The entire point of Twisted (to me anyway) seems
> to be
> > to  provide non-blocking interfaces to
> long-running
> > and/or blocking resources.
>
> Long-running yes, blocking, no. There is no magic
> way to make a blocking
> API not-block. So you need to either rewrite from
> scratch, or use
> threads.
>
> For example, "send an email and return success or
> failure" can be
> written using non-blocking APIs, since sockets have
> non-blocking APIs.
> Calling a DB-API database adapter's
> cursor.fetchall() method can not
> (unless you want to rewrite the database's wire
> protocol).

But cant I write my code in a manner so that even if
every database call timed out infinitely, my
non-blocking access to it will simply deferr every
response until my machine runs out of resources to
handle the stalled db connections?
(while still responding promptly to the front end web
connections)
That's my understanding at least...

=====
--