[Twisted-Python] Low-level networking in Twisted

Tommi Virtanen tv at twistedmatrix.com
Fri May 23 12:31:27 MDT 2003

        Hi. Here's a patch that adds some low-level networking thingies
        (Ethernet, IP & UDP packet parsing; ability to read raw packets
        and use normal DatagramProtocols with them).

        I'm submitting it for review at an early stage so you can all
        bash me to dea^W^W^W^Wgive me guidance on how to build it.
        Especially look at what I did with AbstractDatagramProtocol,
        how the classes interact, etc.

        Future work: maybe checksum verification and such
        details. TUN/TAP interface. Pcap interface, if I can avoid
        writing C and still make it compatible. Worlds slowest network
        stack.

        And yes, I know about scapy. It's a nice hack and a useful
        tool, but doesn't really provide an API to program on. Personally,
        I think a twistedy low-level networking library would be a good
        ground to write a small UI app that does what scapy does. And
        if you do that, please call it twisted.pair :)

	...well, the patch for too big. See
	http://twistedmatrix.com/~tv/lowlevel-networking.patch

--