[Twisted-Python] Thinking Twisted (was Re: Need a mother?)

Christopher Armstrong radix at twistedmatrix.com
Tue Mar 18 16:16:52 MST 2003

On Tue, Mar 18, 2003 at 04:03:16PM -0600, Stephen R. Figgins wrote:
> On 3/18/03 3:40 PM, "Christopher Armstrong" <radix at twistedmatrix.com> wrote:
> > If you need to be able to put the services on separate hosts, then
> > yeah, you'll need to use separate processes and use PB to talk between
> > them. If you don't, however, it's much easier and simpler to just let
> > the services live in the same process and have synchronous access to
> > all the objects in the system.
>
> My concern here is that multiple processor systems are becoming much more
> affordable.  Already dual Pentium systems are as common as dirt.  It would
> be nice to have a design that could take advantage of such a system.  Any
> ideas on how to make Twisted applications that can scale up to multiple
> processor systems?  Maybe that is where we would need to work on getting
> Twisted Sister updated - to provide some kind of load balancing between
> multiple servers on the same host.

If you write the service such that it can use multiple processes
(communicating via PB), then you can both take advantage of multi-CPU
hosts as well as multiple distributed hosts. You would just run
multiple nodes on one multi-CPU hosts, or one node per single-CPU
host.

---------+     http://twistedmatrix.com/users/radix.twistd/