[Twisted-Python] Problems with PB and Jelly...

Jasper Phillips jasper at peak.org
Thu Mar 20 17:20:36 EST 2003

On Wed, 19 Mar 2003, Sean Riley wrote:

Thanks for your response!

> The "Module not allowed" exception means that you need to call
> setCopierForClass for the class. This maps a server-side class string to a
> client side class so the Jelly knows what type of object to create on the
> client.  For example:
>
> pb.setCopierForClass('MyApp.game.server.door.Door', RemoteDoor)
>
> This is usually done at the bottom of the file that the class client-side is
> defined in.

I thought this was what pb.SetUnjellableForClass() was for...  Inspecting
pb.py leads to flavors.py, where I see that setCopierForClass is actually a
reference to setUnjellyableForClass.  So I'm already doing this -- note that
I'm not getting class not allowed exceptions, but module not allowed.

Moreover following the logic through to it's culmination in
jelly.SecurityOptions.allowTypes(), I still can't see how this could affect
which modules are allowed.

It looks like I need to call jelly.globalSecurity.allowInstancesOf()
directly.  Probably in a similar manner to how jelly.SetUnjellyableForClass()
calls globalSecuirty.allowTypes().  Actually, this looks like a bug:
shouldn't SetUnjellyableForClass() call allowInstancesOf() rather than
allowTypes()?

> As far the inheritance, you should only to inherit from RemoteCopy for
> client side objects, not both pb.Copyable and pb.RemoteCopy...

The objects can go both ways, and so it is easiest to set them all to inherit
from both.  This is what's suggested by the documention, so i figured it
shouldn't hurt anything.

> The "setCopyableState" idiom for constructing remote classes may seem
> onerous at first, but its use really is necessary. Distributed objects _are_
> different from regular local objects and the requirements for managing them
> are different too. One of the benefits of PB is its inherent security
> model - it is far more secure and resistant to hackery than using Pickle.
> Pickle's internal use of Python's eval function makes it very scary to
> unserialized Pickled objects on a server...

I do like the security, and many aspects of the architecture are quite nice!

Looking more closely at jelly.py I see that I probably don't need to worry
about setCopyableState(), as it seems to do it's business without relying
upon __init__, and thus __init__ can still be used traditionally.

- -Jasper