[Twisted-Python] Thinking Twisted (was Re: Need a mother?)

Stephen R. Figgins fig at monitor.net
Tue Mar 18 17:03:16 EST 2003

On 3/18/03 3:40 PM, "Christopher Armstrong" <radix at twistedmatrix.com> wrote:

> Just know that it's probably simpler than you think. A few python
> servers that use PB to talk to each other. :)

Thanks, Christopher.  I think that is where I was headed, grouping related
components into just a few servers, rather than having 50 different very
specific components all communicating through some coordinating component.
I can see the flexibility in small components, but the complexity seemed
overwhelming, particularly without a central POA sort of server.

> If you need to be able to put the services on separate hosts, then
> yeah, you'll need to use separate processes and use PB to talk between
> them. If you don't, however, it's much easier and simpler to just let
> the services live in the same process and have synchronous access to
> all the objects in the system.

My concern here is that multiple processor systems are becoming much more
affordable.  Already dual Pentium systems are as common as dirt.  It would
be nice to have a design that could take advantage of such a system.  Any
ideas on how to make Twisted applications that can scale up to multiple
processor systems?  Maybe that is where we would need to work on getting
Twisted Sister updated - to provide some kind of load balancing between
multiple servers on the same host.

-Stephen