[Twisted-Python] Need a mother?

Stephen Figgins fig at monitor.net
Sat Mar 15 12:13:45 EST 2003

I am evaluating twisted matrix as the framework for an enterprise
solution, a workflow/inventory/point of sale, does-all-kinds-of-things
system.  It needs to be highly secure, supporting SSL and encryption,
and some decent Auth utilities.   Our inclination is toward an n-tier
solution for each store, with some connectivity between stores in a
chain or under some kind of central management.

Because there are many pieces to this puzzle, lots of optional services
a system may need to provide and some specialized interfaces, my thought
has been to take a component approach.  This way we can drop in new
components or update components as needed.

We would like some way to centrally manage and load balance those
components, within a single host as well as over multiple hosts.  I am
beginning to grasp how PB works, some. What I don't see is any kind of
central registry for those components.  It looks like the client needs
to know the host and port of the component it wants in order to be able
to use it.   It looks to me like twisted.sister is meant to fulfill both
of these functions, centralizing login, load balancing, name services,
connecting clients to components.

I think a mother is just the thing I need.  Is it?

If so, then how should I go about learning to use it.  (I can create a
parent tap easily enough with mktap, but I am uncertain how to customize
it for our own authentication and encryption needs.)  Anyone have
examples of twisted sister in action?

How far off are we from a stable implementation of twisted.sister?  Our
goal for the system we are developing is to roll it out in about a year.
      It would be nice if the framework components we used were at least
semi-stable.

Based on this very rough description, does twisted sound like the
framework for me?

Thanks for any assistance!

-Stephen