[Twisted-Python] newbie question about using deferreds

Christopher Armstrong radix at twistedmatrix.com
Wed Mar 5 05:04:20 EST 2003

On Wed, Mar 05, 2003 at 09:34:27AM +0000, Martin Waite wrote:
> Hi,
>
> My plan is to keep a global hash table of RequestID -> Deferred.
> When the listener identifies the end of a request, a deferred is
> created and stored against the RequestID.  When the thread polling
> for responses from the database gets a response, it looks for
> a matching deferred from the global hash table and then somehow
> activates the deferred.
>
> Is this sane or am I missing an easier way to do this ?

Mapping of RID:Deferred is quite sane, I think. It could probably
even be called an idiom, by now.

"somehow activates the Deferred" is just
self.requests[rid].callback(val), where self.requests is your mapping,
rid is the request ID, and val is the value that was recently made
available.

---------+     http://twistedmatrix.com/users/radix.twistd/