[Twisted-Python] comments about twisted.trial.unittest

Jonathan M. Lange jml at mumak.net
Wed Jun 11 11:56:15 MDT 2003

On Tue, Jun 10, 2003 at 01:49:33AM +0200, Chris Liechti wrote:
> you claim compatibility with pythons unittest from the stdlib, hm... i
> see some differences ;-)

Actually, we don't. We claim to be *almost* API compatible with python's
standard unittest module. Or at least, that is what I claim. If some docs say
otherwise, I'd like to hear about it.

> if __name__ == '__main__':
>     unittest.main()
>
> sugestion, why not adding the following func (or something better, that
> does not fiddle with sys.argv) to twisted.trial.unittest?

The reason it's not there already is that I always found it slightly confusing
and magical, and no one has really mourned it's loss so far. Also, because it's
not entirely clear what it should do.

However, there's no real reason why it should not be added. If it were, I'd
imagine it would just give the most basic output, just like pyunit.

Oh, and even after this is added, trial will still not be fully API compatible
with pyunit. It never will be.

> also i like to run my tests with "-v" (verbose) but unfortunately does
> twisted output garbage in that case.. (i know, it's ANSI colors but i'm
> on Win32... :-(

trial --bwverbose does black-n-white verbose output.

<snip recommendations for command-line UI change>

Oh, wait, you know about --bwverbose. Yes, I agree, the command line options
for these could be much better.

What do you think about this?

trial -v (Black-n-white verbose output)
trial --color -v (Colorful verbose output)

cheers,
jml