[Twisted-Python] mktap searchpath

Jp Calderone exarkun at intarweb.us
Tue Jun 10 00:25:05 MDT 2003

On Tue, Jun 10, 2003 at 04:07:26PM +1000, Andrew Bennetts wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 10, 2003 at 01:15:54AM -0400, Jp Calderone wrote:
> > On Tue, Jun 10, 2003 at 01:29:28PM +1000, Andre Perry wrote:
> > > When calling mktap with a twisted dir in the current directory the real
> > > twisted dir is not searched for plugins.tml.  The twisted dir in the
> > > current directory does not contain a plugins.tml file.
> > >
> > > Is this the desired behaviour or a bug?
> >
> >   This is the desired behavior.  You cannot have them both searched, or you
> > will end up with doubly registered plugins, each of which refer to whatever
> > modules come first in the python import search path -- which means we should
> > pick up the information from whichever plugins.tml file we find first too,
> > and ignore anything found later.
>
> You're assuming his ~/twisted directory contains the Twisted source, rather
> than just being a directory with random stuff in it.  If that directory
> contained a __init__.py file, then it would be a Python package and
> presumably Python would then be unable to import the real Twisted, so that's
> not a problem with mktap.  But if the directory *doesn't* contain
> __init__.py, then there's no ambiguity in Python's import search path, but
> mktap still will check ~/twisted for plugins.tml, but not
> os.path.basename(twisted.__file__).
>
> So mktap will treat the search path differently to Python's import
> mechanisms, at least in the case where a directory has a name that conflicts
> with a later python package, but doesn't have an __init__.py.
>
> This smells like a bug to me, but I could be wrong.

  Close -- the directory won't be added to the seen-directory-cache unless
it also contains a file named "plugins.tml".  It is true that it is added to
this cache even if it does not contain __init__.py.  This is to keep it from
taking one hundred million years to run (if it checked to see if it was a
package in Python's eyes, it would need to do between 1 and 6 extra
os.path.exists() calls: utterly unacceptable in terms of performance).

  Jp

--
In the days when Sussman was a novice Minsky once came to him as he sat
hacking at the PDP-6. "What are you doing?" asked Minsky. "I am training a