[Twisted-Python] The problem with Twisted...

screwtape at froup.com screwtape at froup.com
Fri Jun 6 19:57:03 MDT 2003

On Thu, Jun 05, 2003 at 05:22:54PM +1000, Andrew Bennetts wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 05, 2003 at 09:10:38AM +0200, Philippe Lafoucri?re wrote:
> >
> > I think howtos have to be reorganized. It's pretty hard to get started
> > with twisted. Moreover, I'am trying to make an application with woven,
> > and have difficulties with documentation on it. Maybe we need more
> > exemples.
>
> Just a brief note: The Woven docs are new, so any suggestions to improve
> them are extremely welcome!

One thing I found confusing when reading the Woven docs:

In the PicturePile walkthrough, there's a section dealing with storing
data in a session variable. Basically it defines two empty classes and
tells Twisted they can be used to deal with Session objects.

This seemed (not so) subtly bizzare, so I read the components-and-
adapters introduction, which led me to believe that there would be all
sorts of clever magic in the Session object to deal with this sort of
thing. So I trundled over to the Session class in the API docs to see
how the Session object is *supposed* to be used, rather than a
cheating short-cut way.

The Session API docs say "This utility class contains no
functionality, but is used to represent a session."

The Session class doesn't appear to inhert from anything that actually
contains session-related functionality, and the adapter classes sure
don't contain session-related functionality, so I have no idea where
sessiony stuff is done, or how to do it in my own programs, or
anything clever that I might do.

In ASP, admittedly based on a much stupider language, the Session
object is effectively a dictionary. It's much simpler to understand. I
assume there's useful things the Twisted session object can do that
you can't do in ASP, but I'm not very clear on what those things might
be.

--