[Twisted-Python] Weird, apparently platform-dependent bug that hoses reactor

Steve Waterbury golux at comcast.net
Thu Jun 26 22:10:06 EDT 2003

Help!

This is a bug that I discovered after I had just completed
a change of name for one of the packages in my app, from
"common" (bad name) to "enterprise" (sounds too broad
but is actually appropriate in this case).  Yes, I am
using t.enterprise modules (adbapi) and yes, I've made
sure that all our imports of that and of our module by that
name (pangalactic.enterprise :^) are fully-qualified.

The traceback we're getting is:

Traceback (most recent call last):
   File "test_pger_get.py", line 37, in ?
     reactor.run() # start the main loop
   File "/usr/lib/python2.2/site-packages/twisted/internet/default.py", line 121, in run
     self.startRunning(installSignalHandlers=installSignalHandlers)
   File "/usr/lib/python2.2/site-packages/twisted/internet/default.py", line 115, in startRunning
     self._handleSignals()
   File "/usr/lib/python2.2/site-packages/twisted/internet/default.py", line 87, in _handleSignals
     signal.signal(signal.SIGINT, self.sigInt)
SystemError: error return without exception set

This is coming from a pretty simple test script that
initializes some things and does a reactor.run() and
prints the result or the error.

(There's too much context to include all the code in this
message, but I'll send it off-list to anyone who's
interested.)

The platform-dependent aspect is that we have run the
exact same code on Debian (unstable) have *not* seen
this traceback there.  We get the traceback on a
Red Hat 9 (2.4.20-18.9) machine.

Basically curious if anyone else has seen anything like
this.

(We are still in the process of trying to narrow the
differences between the code that ran -- before the
module name change [big time sed script job] and
after ... will post if we have a breakthrough.)

Thanks!
Steve