[Twisted-Python] Re: CVS Tag

Brian Warner warner at lothar.com
Wed Jun 25 01:26:53 EDT 2003

"Lee Harr" <missive at hotmail.com> writes:

> Is that the correct one?   Can I now just
> cvs update -d -P
> to continue getting the latest revisions?

That's what I use. When I check out a tree, I just do:

 cvs -d ... checkout Twisted

and then when I update, I do:

 cvs -z6 update -dP .

(the -z6 turns on compression, to conserve the limited upstream bandwidth of
our CVS server. Apart from that it's identical to your command).

It is conceivable (but I haven't been able to prove it) that updating with
-rHEAD sets some kind of sticky date which would effectively disable later
updates. In general, if I've been using tags and want to get rid of them, I
do:

 cvs -z6 update -A -dP .

which clears all sticky tags, both symbolic and date.

When I *do* use branch tags, I usually create a new tree which is
exclusively for that particular branch. If I keep switching back and forth
between branches, eventually I forget and then have to wonder where my
changes are going.

Finally, trees that have been checked out with date tags are effectively
read-only, since you can't check anything into them. The most you can do is
to create a patch from it and then apply that patch to a non-date-locked
tree.

cheers,
 -Brian