[Twisted-Python] Getting Stories Straight (RPYs)

Moshe Zadka m at moshez.org
Tue Jun 24 14:36:12 EDT 2003

On 24 Jun 2003, Abe Fettig <abe at fettig.net> wrote:

> This is true - most web developers are not used to having to stop and
> restart the server after every change.  Is there anything wrong with
> putting all your code into /index.rpy during development, so that code
> gets reloaded on every page visit?  It's easy enough to move the code
> into a regular module later.

Depends on how much code that is. Of course, you can also do that if you
don't put all your code in the .rpy, by having a short .rpy which
reloads modules:

'''
import blog
reload(blog)
resource = blog.buildBlogResource(...)
'''

is a perfectly sane short RPY which will allow you to code properly.
However, I tend to dislike this kind of solutions. While in CGI,
this kind of strategy makes sense, in real web applications, it
starts to break down. My vague memories of using HTML::Mason
and OpenACS indicate that at one point I was so tired of remembering
which parts were cached and which parts weren't that I actually
did restart the web server whenever I wanted to test my changes.

I usually do my web development with a web browser open, and whenever
I change I restart the server, and reload the page. Moving from two
clicks per change to one doesn't seem worth remembering what's
cached and what isn't, sorry... :)
--
Moshe Zadka -- http://moshez.org/
Buffy: I don't like you hanging out with someone that... short.