[Twisted-Python] To twisted.web beginners: don't use RPYs

screwtape at froup.com screwtape at froup.com
Tue Jun 24 08:35:07 EDT 2003

On Tue, Jun 24, 2003 at 11:11:41AM +1000, Andrew Bennetts wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 23, 2003 at 06:29:29PM -0400, Christopher Armstrong wrote:
> >
> > Thus, rpys should have as little code as possible in them -- on the order of 10
> > lines or less (maybe more if you decide to put very simple configuration
>
> This reminds me of the MSDN recommending that ASP scripts should never be
> more than 100 lines, because they're just glue for your COM objects.  A
> previous employer of mine knew that, and still had ~100000 lines of ASP
> anyway, including a charting system in about ~20000 lines.  I understand
> that this is not uncommon :)
>
> People *will* misuse software -- particularly if the documention isn't
> excellent...

Ah, but ASP is a lot more friendly to that kind of misuse than Twisted
seems to be. The fact that Twisted doesn't have a simple ASP-style way
of flipping between code and raw HTML output should make all but the
most persistent misusers cry out 'There Has To Be A Better Way!' in
fairly short order.

I guess it's just a matter of having ample documentation.
Documentation and sample code. :)

--