[Twisted-Python] To twisted.web beginners: don't use RPYs

Jp Calderone exarkun at intarweb.us
Mon Jun 23 16:31:52 EDT 2003

On Mon, Jun 23, 2003 at 02:20:02PM -0500, Bill Gribble wrote:
> >   site = server.Site(Simple())
> >   reactor.listenTCP(8080, site)
> >   reactor.run()
>
> ... and moshez barfed up a kidney when I said I was doing listenTCP
> manually, saying that listenTCP was about to be deprecated with extreme
> prejudice and should be avoided.  No real reason given other than "it's
> a bad idea".

  listenTCP (and friends) will be around until 2.0, at least.  They may not
be the -preferred- approach long before then, but they will at least be
available (as a rather central part of a core, stable API, taking them away
would be like hacking off both of Twisted's legs at the knee).

  Jp

--
It is practically impossible to teach good programming style to
students that have had prior exposure to BASIC: as potential