[Twisted-Python] twisted.protocols.imap4

Anders Hammarquist iko at cd.chalmers.se
Thu Jun 12 09:56:19 MDT 2003

Hi!

I've started looking at the imap4 server implementation in twisted as
I need it for a project. Before I rip it apart completely to fix the
things I think need fixing, I thought I'd air my complaints and ask if
there was a particular reason things are the way they are.

First of all, I don't understand why UID message references are
handled they way they are. As I understand it, bit operations on the
message number are used to determine if a particular message number
is a UID or a sequential message number. To me, this looks like an
attempt to optimise something which probably doesn't need it. Anyone
care to comment?

Two, the way the message numbers are parsed (whether UID or not),
result in SERIOUS preformance issues for a message range of the
form 1:*. I feel the message number parser needs to know what
messages are available, which needs some restructuring of the mailbox
interface.

Three, the obligatory patch. Empty strings need to be quoted in

/Anders