[Twisted-Python] (Summary) The problem with Twisted...

Peter Hansen peter at engcorp.com
Wed Jun 4 22:15:01 EDT 2003

jml at ids.org.au wrote:

> On Thu, Jun 05, 2003 at 10:45:31PM +1000, jml at ids.org.au wrote:
> > ... is that we have no word for "entrepreneur".

> 1. Docs.
> a) We need more docs, esp API docs. This needs to be a commitment to docs, and
>    not just a writing binge.
> b) A book is more than a collection of howtos

As a manager, I more or less have to agree, even though I've defended
Twisted's docs on c.l.p from time to time.  They certainly could be
better, and I do agree that the API doc areas could stand some improvements.
What I really ought to do is start noting the fact each time we encounter
a less than useful description, and maybe even try to improve it once
we figure it out.

> 2. The website should target "decision makers" primarily. Hackers only need
>    links to download, docs, mailing list, and why our tech is cool

You might think about what _kind_ of decision maker you wish to target.
Do you definitely want to target all kinds?  Targetting those with an
adequate understanding of agile development, the value of Python, etc,
should be pretty easy.  Hardly need to spend more than a passing word
or two to catch them... it's the more traditional types, used to using
certain other technologies, who might be harder.  How do you target a
Java head, and more interestingly: why would you?  (Yes, I understand
the mandate for world domination, but aside from that? ;-))

> 3. Coil.

I have only one thing to say in this area, which is please don't anyone
think about developing this just because you think you need to in order to
help convince someone to use Twisted.  If you don't need it enough to do it
for yourself or for someone who has specific documented needs (a.k.a. "user
stories") you will not produce something useful to anyone and you'll waste
your time to boot.

-Peter