[Twisted-Python] Custom DNS server

Jp Calderone exarkun at twistedmatrix.com
Wed Jul 23 08:35:38 MDT 2003

On Wed, Jul 23, 2003 at 11:15:39AM +0000, rudy.schockaert at pandora.be wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I need a DNS server that forwards all queries except for some predefined
> maildomains. For these domains a record pointing to a central mailrelay
> should be returned instead of the record that is present in Internet DNS.
>
> Is this possible/difficult to do with Twisted?

  This should be pretty easy.  I think the way to go about it would be to
subclass t.names.client.Resolver and override lookupMailExchange(),
returning the central relay address instead for the affected domains, and
deferring (english meaning) to the parent implementation of the method for
everyone else.

> How should I interpret the 'unstable' in the twisted.names documentation?

  It refers to the API stability -- meaning the modules haven't reached a
point where the developers are confident that no further changes which break
user code relyong on the module will be made.  It doesn't reflect on how
well the code actually works.

  Jp

--
"One World, one Web, one Program." - Microsoft(R) promotional ad
"Ein Volk, ein Reich, ein Fuhrer." - Adolf Hitler