[Twisted-Python] Mail Server

Andrew Bennetts andrew-twisted at puzzling.org
Mon Jul 21 17:35:45 MDT 2003

On Mon, Jul 21, 2003 at 01:13:13PM -0400, David A. Leedom wrote:
> I am new to Twisted Matrix.
>
> I am trying to setup an mail system that will use a database as the
> datastore for emails, domains and user access (both pop3/imap and stmp).
>
> What I am looking for is a code snipit example of how to setup a POP3 and
> SMTP server using frame work without using the TAP utility.
>
> I figure once I have this example then I can begin to understand the
> documentation better.  There is something missing in the explanation of how
> things work.  It just goes over my head.

Why not look at how the TAP utility does it? :)

Have a look at twisted/mail/tap.py, in particular the 'updateApplication'
method.

Also, I believe that IMAP, POP3 and SMTP have all had a lot of work done on
them in CVS recently, so it might be worth using CVS, or at least the latest
alpha release (1.0.7 alpha 2).  They're improving quite rapidly, judging
from the number of commits (and tests!) Jp is making.

-Andrew.