[Twisted-Python] Is it just me ....

Neil Blakey-Milner nbm at mithrandr.moria.org
Thu Jul 10 03:55:11 MDT 2003

On Thu 2003-07-10 (09:04), Moshe Zadka wrote:
> On Thu, 10 Jul 2003, Neil Blakey-Milner <nbm at mithrandr.moria.org> wrote:
>
> > I've tried to do my part in writing things like bannergrab, stikiwiki,
> > and tnntprss, but I really have no idea if they're good examples of how
> > to write things, so I can't really punt them.
>
> It's fairly simple to find out: put them up on the web, announce them
> here. You will likely get more commentary than you ever wanted and
> will possibly lead to better docs [so we can prevent people from
> making the same mistakes] and better code [if we find out our interfaces
> don't suit the way people actually use stuff]. It would also, if you
> actually read comments and act on them, lead to an improvement of
> your examples.

(and the trap is sprung...)

Bannergrab is at http://mithrandr.moria.org/code/bannergrab/ and it is
a simple SSH/SMTP banner grabber over a (bunch of) network range(s).
Not much I'd like done with it, but suggestions on what is good/bad
about it would be nice.  Also, a "so many concurrent clients" manager
like I used might be useful in general - what do others think?

Stikiwiki (which I've mentioned here before) is at
http://mithrandr.moria.org/code/stikiwiki/ and is a pretty featureless
Wiki-alike that uses docutils for backing format in a cog database.  I'd
be really interested in how Woven can work for me, especially refreshing
content after a POST that changes the content and/or doing a redirect
and so forth.  An example of newcred/woven.guard working against a
simple "user: password" style file or a simple "user":"password"
dictionary (ie, dealing with the perspective without storing perspective
information in the authentication backend) would be very useful to
people wanting to authenticate against existing databases or libraries
(like vpopmail).

tnntprss is at http://mithrandr.moria.org/code/tnntprss/ and it creates
a NNTP news server with newsgroups and content from RSS feeds.
Configuration of RSS feeds is probably the main issue here - I didn't
want to use web interfaces without understanding woven.guard/cred
better.  Understanding whether I'm using getServiceNamed in an
acceptable way would be nice.  I remember pynfo used adapters for
something similar - would that be more Twistedish (Twistedic?).

Neil
--
Neil Blakey-Milner
nbm at mithrandr.moria.org