[Twisted-Python] Implementing a syslog-deamon ??

Moshe Zadka m at moshez.org
Thu Jul 10 03:48:33 MDT 2003

On Thu, 10 Jul 2003, "Thomas Weholt \( PRIVAT \)" <2002 at weholt.org> wrote:

> I was wondering if I could implement a fully syslog-compatible
> syslog-deamon/server using Twisted?

Yes it is. Writing a syslog is not extremely hard.
[Note that it will probably constrain your mounting order, since syslog
has to start pretty soon. OTOH, putting /usr/ on a different partition
than / is an obsolete idea, so that shouldn't be a big problem.]

> We need a syslog up and running as soon
> as possible to let our firewall use it, due to some suspicion about hacking
> etc.

"As soon as possible" and "implement my own" are usually at odds.

> It would help alot of I could implement a syslog-deamon that put data
> sent to it into a database, instead of to a file. The server must be able to
> run on Windows.

Why? What in syslog logs to a a syslog daemon? More importantly, syslog
relies on unix-specific APIs, IIRC, like named pipes or unix domain pipes.

--
Moshe Zadka -- http://moshez.org/
Buffy: I don't like you hanging out with someone that... short.