[Twisted-Python] ldaptor feedback

Bob Ippolito bob at redivi.com
Wed Jul 2 09:50:55 MDT 2003

On Wed, Jul 02, 2003 at 05:28:38PM +0300, Tommi Virtanen wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 02, 2003 at 08:07:48AM +0000, Clark C. Evans wrote:
> > I think LDAP is pretty cornerstone to any internet application
> > where 'single sign on' and other directory information is
> > required.   If it was available, I even picture game servers
> > or muds using it...
>
> 	You mean you hope it will be? (Quick! Name three end user
> 	applications using LDAP!)

Outlook, Windows 2000, MacOS X, (Apple) Address Book, Eudora, Netscape Mail, etc.

> 	Let me repeat myself. If installing one library is too
> 	much effort for you, you are using the wrong OS.

Twisted and LDAP are cross-platform.  You shouldn't try make that kind of argument.

> 	(Oh, did you notice that the openldap library is not
> 	in the libc?)

OpenLDAP (slapd and the client libraries) come with MacOS X and MacOS X server.  Every version of Windows 2000 and later releases based on the same tree can speak LDAP.

It's not in the libc because it's not part of POSIX or ANSI C.

-bob