[Twisted-Python] Re: Twisted - Python 2.3 - Windows

Cory Dodt corydodt at yahoo.com
Thu Jul 31 12:23:36 EDT 2003

>Subject: [Twisted-Python] Twisted - Python 2.3 - Windows
>
>Hi,
>
>anyone who knows when the first Python 2.3 build of twisted for windows
>will be available? Which version will it be?
>
>I tried to build it myself but got into trouble. I first installed
>Cygwin and then tried 'setup.py build --compiler=mingw32' as per
>documentation, but I got an error message that Python itself is build
>with Visual Studio 6.
>I don't feel building python myself and I don't have VS6.

I'm with you man,  I don't feel like building Python myself either.  I
have asked the appropriate list
(http://mail.python.org/pipermail/distutils-sig/2003-July/003333.html )
about this problem.  I also tried using distutils from CVS instead of
the bundled copy with Python 2.3, and no luck.

There won't be an official Python 2.3 build of Twisted for Windows until
this is resolved, as I don't have MSVC and don't intend to buy a copy.
mingw should work.

In the meantime, you should know that you can get by without the
extensions.  Just do
$ python setup.py install  --skip-build

You won't get cbanana or _c_urlarg, the only extensions built for windows.