[Twisted-Python] Re: [Zope3-dev] twisted zope

Bob Ippolito bob at redivi.com
Tue Jul 29 01:41:49 EDT 2003

On Tuesday, Jul 29, 2003, at 00:16 America/New_York, Glyph Lefkowitz
wrote:

> On Monday, July 28, 2003, at 01:20 PM, Gary Poster wrote:
>
>> Oh yeah, forgot about that.  I've seen several discussions of the
>> licensing on the Twisted list... Maybe Phil Eby's implementation is
>> the only way out of that one.
>
> The whole point of those discussions has generally been that the
> current structure is important to make relicensing a possibility :-).
>
> While twisted as a whole is being very actively (one might even say
> "agressively") developed, some portions of the framework, like the
> core reactor, seem to be extremely stable at this point.

the organization of twisted.internet is the suck

> I have been considering approaching the Python team to ask about
> relicensing / including portions of twisted.internet in core Python at
> some point, since it seems to have eclipsed asyncore in terms of
> popularity, but I am sure that such discussions would be fraught with
> subtle corner cases and versioning issues, and I am very, very short
> on time at the moment.  However, if another member of the Twisted team
> would like to take up this discussion, either about core Python or
> about Zope 3, I'd be more than willing to appoint a proxy.

Some of twisted should go into core Python, perhaps for 2.4.. but we
should have better non-select reactors (win32, wx, qt, corefoundation,
etc.) and cleaned up organization first.

Of course, I need to write the corefoundation reactor, first :)

-bob