[Twisted-Python] Changes to twisted.mail

Jp Calderone exarkun at intarweb.us
Tue Jul 15 00:18:47 EDT 2003

  This evening I checked in a fair number of changes to twisted.mail and
twisted.protocols.smtp.  Much of it was to take advantage of the features
I've recently added to Twisted's SMTP support (such as ESMTP AUTH), but a
fair amount was to clarify, simplify, and generally clean up the interfaces
used by this part of Twisted.

  Wherever possible, I have left in checks for the old behavior which issue
deprecation warnings and "upgrade" the data to the new requirements.  I hope
I have covered all the cases, but since the previous interface wasn't as
precisely specified as one might hope, and maybe because I just plain made
some mistakes, it is possible that these changes will break existing code
that uses the interfaces.

  Understandably, this backwards compatibility complicates the mail code --
extremely in some places -- and I would like to remove it as quickly as
possible.  Feedback on timeline requirements from anyone using this code
would be appreciated.

  So, this is a heads up.  I hope anyone who is seriously using Twisted's
mail code can test their projects against current CVS HEAD and let me know
if I've broken something.  Test cases that codify the old, now broken,
behavior are most welcome (well, patches that *fix* the breakage are even
more welcome ;), but tracebacks might get you some assistance too.

  Enjoy,

  Jp

--
Examinations are formidable even to the best prepared, for
even the greatest fool may ask more the the wisest man can answer.