[Twisted-Python] Storage for a NNTP-server?

Jp Calderone exarkun at twistedmatrix.com
Sat Jul 12 15:07:36 EDT 2003

On Sat, Jul 12, 2003 at 12:39:50PM +0200, Thomas Weholt wrote:
> Was wondering what I can use for storage for a NNTP-server? I'd like all of
> my data to be kept in one place, data for a website, this news-server and
> whatever else I might think of .... storing. Is that possible?

  Anything that implements twisted.news.database.INewsStorage will do (Okay,
that class is new in CVS five minutes ago -- but all I did was rename
twisted.news.database.NewsStorage and make it inherit from Interface :).

> Would it be possible to require authentication for a few given groups, --
> not all but some ?

  Sure would, but not without a few changes to the nntp code.  New cred
makes this kind of thing dead easy, if you want to give it a stab.

> I was wildly inspired by tnttprss.py I found on this list a few days back.
> That was cool. But I don't want cog and/or pybsddb, because I allready got a
> SQL-database running.

  There is an SQL INewsStorage implementation, but I'm not really sure what
state it is in, or if it was ever any good to begin with.  The most
used/tested NewsStorage is based on twisted.persisted.dirdbm.  It works
alright for small numbers of groups/articles, but I doubt it scales well.

  A filepile based NewsStorage would probably work very well, but I don't
yet know filepile well enough to undertake this :)

  Jp

--
It is practically impossible to teach good programming style to
students that have had prior exposure to BASIC: as potential