[Twisted-Python] Simultaneously client-server app

Thomas Weholt ( PRIVAT ) 2002 at weholt.org
Fri Jul 11 08:04:36 EDT 2003

I have some questions which seem to be related to this.

I have a webserver which serves as a newsaggregator etc. Once a while a
"worker" ( being a thread or not ) must go out and collect, parse and store
new items served by rss/rdf-feeds from around the net. Using a
SQLite-database which takes one connect at the time, at least as I
understand it, using threads could pose a serious problem if do-able at all.
I have another "worker" collecting information about files in given folders,
generating sha1-checksums etc. which is *very*  time consuming on large
amounts of data. This info must also go into the database.

So far I got the code that schedules a call and re-schedules it after the
call has finished. But the method that's called is blocking and has to be
re-written using deferreds or threads or something.

<dream-mode value="on" requirements="stupidity filter">
The utlimate goal would be to have some way of letting the user easily and
quickly define new workers doing user-defined things without hoggin the
server and by using as little as possible of strange, weird, technical,
complicated Twisted-things like deferreds, callbacks, threads etc.

My question is; is there a generic way to make old-style blocking Python
code twisted-friendly non-blocking using deferToThread or deferreds wrapped
around it?
</dream-mode>

I'm going to look into tnntprss.py which was mentioned yesterday or
something on the lists, which does some of the things I need, but any
example on how to go about this would be nice.

PS! Another question; should these workers be located in an
ApplicationService-subclass?

Thomas