[Twisted-Python] Implementing a syslog-deamon ??

Thomas Weholt 2002 at weholt.org
Thu Jul 10 12:59:26 EDT 2003

Talk about a success story!

To make a long story short; at work we needed a syslog-deamon to use with
our firewall because we got some problems with attacks and virii sending
mass-emails using our SMTP-server. To better get a grip on the log generated
by the firewall we wanted to send it to a syslog-deamon and parse the data,
possible stuff it into a database. I created a UDP/HTTP server listening on
514 for syslog data and serving current status, reports and management pages
using http/html on 8080. A small project, but it did lift some eyebrows on
some of my co-workers and they started talking about additions and new
functionality they wanted.

Now we got a webpage showing the latest activity, archives for older logs
etc.

All done in less than 30 minutes thanks to Twisted!! :-)

Best regards,
Thomas