[Twisted-Python] wxPython locking the event processing?

Uwe C. Schroeder uwe at oss4u.com
Sat Jul 5 15:54:07 EDT 2003

On Saturday 05 July 2003 11:45 am, Patrik Blommaskog wrote:
> > Anyways, check the cookbook. You can emulate the twisted mainloop in a
> > wxpython mainloop.
>
> Thanks! I like the fact that this solution keeps wx and Twisted in the same
> thread, which is one of the nice features with using Twisted to start with.
>
> The existence of tunable timing parameters triggers an alarm in my head
> though. It appears to me that it would be difficult to set these to a
> default value that fits all, and equally difficult to perform automatic
> runtime or installation-time tuning of these. In my current project, I'm
> using the Twisted scheduling for lots of other things than networking,
> where the latency could possibly become a problem. I think I'll have to
> perform some tests.
>
> Thanks for the explanation of the problem.

Yes, the timing is a problem. The app this quickhack was developed for is
quite large, however it uses twisted for nothing else than the network layer,
so in my case the timing isn't crucial as long as the UI still responds.

I encountered no problems on win and linux with this. However your application
might be different.

Hopefully someday someone finds the time to write a complete reactor, which
then will hide the threads.

	UC

--
Open Source Solutions 4U, LLC	2570 Fleetwood Drive
Phone:  +1 650 872 2425		San Bruno, CA 94066