[Twisted-Python] Example: Accessing a database from a Resource

Mario Ruggier mario at ruggier.org
Fri Jan 31 03:56:03 MST 2003

Hi, thanks for the example. Just a couple of comments:

Your doc string for the resource-db exalple:
"""
Example: Making database calls from a Resource.

One of the most common web development tasks involves connecting to a
database, retrieving some data, formatting it as HTML, and returning
it to a web browser.  There are two primary means of accomplishing
this task within the Twisted framework, either via twisted.enterprise
(the preferred method), or via twisted.internet.threads.

This example demonstrates the second approach; this is mostly useful
in cases where you need something "quick and dirty", or where the use
of twisted.enterprise would be overkill.
"""

Well, as per the twisted philosophy, using components separately should
always be possible, and so choosing to use twisted.web.resource should
not oblige you to use twisted.enterprise. For a given application,
another
"enterprise" layer may be more appropriate, or indeed required.

In the example shown, a connection is made and closed per request.
The adbapi integrates a dbpool handling. How would one go about
handling caching of connections and/or loaded data across requests,
and across users (outside of twisted.enterprise)? Would this require
writing a twisted server application? Is there a simpler way to do this?

And, for web resources in general, how does the concept of "web
application
variables" (variables visible across all requests and user sessions, as
opposed to user session variables) ?

Many thanks, mario