[Twisted-Python] Large project (IMS) architecture

Itamar Shtull-Trauring twisted at itamarst.org
Thu Jan 16 10:08:01 MST 2003

On Thu, 16 Jan 2003 10:48:40 -0600
"Patrick K. O'Brien" <pobrien at orbtech.com> wrote:

> Yes, I've looked at journal. I don't fully understand your
> implementation, because I don't fully understand Twisted yet. And, I
> had already started PyPerSyst before I knew about your implementation.
> Now I can't let it go. I'm sure you know how that is. :-)

Yah. And I need to write docs if I want people to use it :)

> Whether the marshaling is done using the safe xml pickling (from
> Gnosis_utils or PyXML) or the default pickle. The xml_pickle is not
> vulnerable for the pickle trojan problem mentioned in Chapter 7, but
> it is an order of a magnitude slower, and requires more bandwith.

PB actually implements its own version of Pickle as well (jelly), except
that it does *not* use a whole order of magnitude more of bandwidth -
it's probably the same bandwidth usage as pickle. It's still not as fast
as it could be, but we're working on it.

> PyPerSyst works with Pyro, but doesn't depend on it. I'd like to
> accomplish the same with Twisted. I started with Pyro because it was
> easier for me to figure out. Any suggestions for getting up-to-speed
> on Perspective Broker?

http://twistedmatrix.com/documents/howto/pb-intro
http://twistedmatrix.com/documents/howto/pb-usage
http://twistedmatrix.com/documents/howto/pb-cred

Version 1.0.2 will have additional documentation.