[Twisted-Python] twisted web on MacOSX -- apache, 80, firewall

Mario Ruggier mario at ruggier.org
Thu Jan 16 19:07:28 EST 2003

I'm trying to install, and understand, twisted (1.0.2alpha1) web server
on a
MacOS X 10.2.3 powerbook (a platform i am at the same time learning
about).
Installation of twisted seems OK (even if with a number of exceptions
from
admin/runtests, for which I temporarily put the log under twistd web,
at:
http://ruggier.dyndns.org:8080/test.log ).

Getting the web server up to serve flat files was also successful.
However, macos x
comes with apache on port 80 (turned on via Sharing->Services->Personal
Web Sharing),
and a pre-set firewall (turned on via Sharing->Firewall).

To run twisted web on 8080 (http requests are served), the macos x
firewall must be
turned off. That is correct?

If I turn off personal web sharing (to shut down apache) and launch
twistd web on port 80,
http requests give "can't connect to server" error (this is with
firewall on or off).
Is it possible to run twisted web on port 80? Is it not a good idea to
start with?

Oh, btw, I am running python 2.2.2 (MacPython222full).

Thanks, mario