[Twisted-Python] [OT] PyCon accomodation?

Bob Ippolito bob at redivi.com
Sun Jan 5 04:26:13 EST 2003

On Saturday, Jan 4, 2003, at 22:24 America/New_York, Christopher
Armstrong wrote:

> On Sun, Jan 05, 2003 at 01:22:19PM +1100, Andrew Bennetts wrote:
>> Hi all...
>>
>> I'm intending on going to PyCon (http://www.python.org/pycon/), but
>> I'm not
>> sure where I should stay for the week -- the places at
>> http://www.python.org/cgi-bin/moinmoin/PyConAccommodation sound very
>> expensive to my Australian dollars :)
>>
>> Basically I'm looking to do this on the cheap; the airfare is
>> expensive
>> enough... ideally, I'd probably share a room in a budget hotel with
>> someone.
>> This has the bonus that they could help a clueless Aussie traveller
>> find his
>> way around ;)
>>
>> So, who's going to PyCon, and do they have any ideas on where I could
>> stay?
>> I'd probably be looking to stay from Sunday night 23rd (so I could
>> attend
>> the code sprint) through to Saturday the 29th, although I haven't
>> thought
>> this out in detail.
>
> Well, I'm planning on staying all week at a cheapie motel-6 or super-8
> or something. There's a chance Nafai'll room with me, and the more the
> merrier. No internet at those, though, afaik :-)

Depending on how much you like subway transit (it's actually really
clean there, but only runs until midnight-2am latest.. used to be
midnight but I hear they've extended it slightly on weekends), you can
pretty much stay anywhere near a metro station and make it to PyCon
pretty easily..  Presumably, since it's at GWU, it's going to be really
close to the Foggy Bottom stop on the orange/blue metro line.. which is
quite accessible from the red line (or any other, but particularly the
red and orange/blue).  The metro system there is pretty quick, and
cheap (non-rush hour it's no more than $2.20 USD each way.. not too
much more otherwise).  I really can't suggest accommodations, as I used
to live in the area and have plenty of friends to crash with in those
parts (and never had to use a hotel for any legitimate purpose), but
it's relatively easy to get around without renting a car so long as
you're within walking distance of a metro station.

For those of you traveling from points north or south via Amtrak, the
train stops at the Union Station stop (red line), with an easy transfer
over to the orange/blue at Metro Center.

http://www.wmata.com/metrorail/systemmap.cfm is the map of the
metrorail system, where you could plot accessible hotels in the
md/dc//va area.

And as far as internet access goes, you're probably SOL.. Net cafes and
net access at hotels aren't very popular down there from what I
remember.. if you're lucky you'll meet some cute college guy/girl that
goes to a school at GWU / GMU / etc. and will let you "plug in" to "the
ethernet" in her dorm, but that's the best you'll be able to do :)