[Twisted-Python] wxPython and Twisted event loops

Uwe C. Schroeder uwe at oss4u.com
Sat Feb 22 00:18:17 MST 2003

On Friday 21 February 2003 07:28 pm, Andrew Bennetts wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 21, 2003 at 02:48:04AM -0800, Uwe C. Schroeder wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > for those interested, I just posted a recipe on the  activestate.com
> > python cookbook about how to get wxPython running with Twisted withoud
> > having blocked menu's and modal dialogs.
> >
> > It's a simple and dirty hack, but it's working on linux and win
> > (basically all systems using the default select reactor)
>
> Is there any reason why you aren't using the twisted.internet.wxsupport
> module?

Yes, it doesn't work. :-)
wxPython (as does wxWindows) uses private eventloops for menus and modal
dialogs. This means whenever you open a modal dialog or a menu, the main
eventloop will freeze and wait for the child eventloop (the one of the menu
or modal dialog) to finish.
Since wxsupport only emulates the main eventloop it will be stuck until you
close the dialog.

	UC

--
Open Source Solutions 4U, LLC	2570 Fleetwood Drive
Phone:  +1 650 872 2425		San Bruno, CA 94066