[Twisted-Python] newbie: asynchronous client

screwtape at froup.com screwtape at froup.com
Mon Feb 17 20:37:40 MST 2003

On Tue, Feb 18, 2003 at 01:24:10PM +1100, Andrew Bennetts wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 18, 2003 at 12:28:21PM +1100, screwtape at froup.com wrote:
> > On Mon, Feb 17, 2003 at 07:14:27PM -0500, Bob Ippolito wrote:
> > > I think that maybe there should be a tutorial on how to make
> > > interactive console Twisted programs using stdio and then another with
> > > curses/readline perhaps?
> >
> > A reactor that integrated with the cmd.Cmd() event loop would be
> > wonderful. :)
> >
> > (for those who haven't caught up with this nifty part of the Python
> > standard library, have a look at:
> >
> > 	http://www.python.org/doc/current/lib/Cmd-objects.html
> >
> > for some detailed information.)
>
> Or just add a telnet server (is "telnet manhole" a better term?)... :)

Advantages of the telnet manhole:
- A Python prompt, so you can manipulate all the objects you have
  available as much as you'd like.

Disadvantages of the telnet manhole:
- No history.
- No completion.
- No help.
- You have to telnet to a particular port to access it (you can only
  run one instance per host, and it makes it difficult to use a
  user-interactive program.

That said, there's probably something nifty that can be done with
curses. I've never done any curses programming, though, and usually
if I'm just whipping together a script, an eval-print loop is all the
interface I need.

--