[Twisted-Python] daemonization

Andrew Bennetts andrew-twisted at puzzling.org
Mon Feb 24 04:03:56 EST 2003

On Mon, Feb 24, 2003 at 02:53:34AM -0500, Christopher Armstrong wrote:
> On Sun, Feb 23, 2003 at 11:21:28PM +0000, Clark C. Evans wrote:
> >
> > P.S. Yes, I suppose this is what that "taps" thing is all
> > about... however, it doesn't seem to do the deamon
> > management well (it doesn't do stop/start/reload, right?)
>
> You can use twistd without taps. See `-y'.

At the risk of resurrecting the TAP thread, it might be nice to document
this more clearly... I see "-y" as the path to a gentle introduction to
TAPs.

All you need to do to use twistd is define a module with a top-level
"application" variable (an instance of t.i.app.Application), and use "-y"...
from this point it's easy to see how to progress to constructing a TAP via
application.save, and then to writing an updateApplication function for use
with mktap.  I think one of my main problems with TAPs is they are explained
far too abstractly regarding exactly what they are and how they work.  A
description that works through the above phases may alleviate that.

-Andrew.