[Twisted-Python] where to begin

Abe Fettig abe at fettig.net
Tue Feb 11 10:46:50 EST 2003

On Tue, 2003-02-11 at 00:07, Itamar Shtull-Trauring wrote:
> On 11 Feb 2003 16:59:49 +1300
> Rob Brown-Bayliss <rob at zoism.org> wrote:
>
> Using any part of twisted is simple. Trying to understand all of it at
> once is not. Which is a problem.
>
> Maybe looking through some examples will help:
> http://www.twistedmatrix.com/documents/examples/pbgtk.py is a sample app
> using GTK and PB.

If I may chime in here - In my experience it's really hard to start with
sample code that uses lots of foreign concepts.  Perspective Broker is a
lot to get your head around if you don't have any experience with
Twisted.  I think it's easier to look at sample code that does something
you already understand.  For example:

documents/examples/pytserv.py - a telnet server

documents/examples/ircLogBot.py - an IRC client that writes channel
events to a file

documents/examples/xmlrpc.py - an XML-RPC server

documents/examples/simpledns.py - a DNS lookup example (nice basic
example of deferreds)

documents/examples/simpleserv.py
documents/example/simpleclient.py - very simple client and server using
a homemade protocol

These examples show how to use Twisted to do the kinds of tasks
programmers may already be familiar with, in just a few lines of code.

Abe