In Defense of Taps (was Re: [Twisted-Python] where to begin)

Bob Ippolito bob at redivi.com
Tue Feb 11 03:09:05 EST 2003

On Tuesday, Feb 11, 2003, at 01:35 America/New_York, Moshe Zadka wrote:

> On Tue, 11 Feb 2003, Bob Ippolito <bob at redivi.com> wrote:
>
>> taps are to simplify running daemons, you don't need them for
>> anything.
>>   I don't use them for anything myself.
>
> I want to explain why taps are useful: Twisted is a Python framework.
> However,
> we want non-Python-literate people to be able to use parts of it (such
> as
> the Web server or the SSH server) without having to learn Python. One
> way
> would have been to write seperate applications: "runTwistedWeb", etc.
> etc.,
> polluting bin. Another way is to use the plugin mechanism to completely
> divorce flexible configuration via command-line arguments (mktap) from
> running and choosing a reactor (twistd). While it is completely
> possible
> to use twistd with just Python code, naive users will find it easier
> to create a tap and then run it.

and naive developers will be confused by the whole thing.. I know it
took me longer to pick up twisted at first because all of the examples
were tap based, and not just python code.  However, twisted and its
documentation are a lot farther along these days, so it might be
different for a new developer now.

-bob